Before I start, I just have to give a MAJOR thanks to Susann. Without her, this project would have never seen the light of day. I've really showed my limits during this costume making period, and I have also shown almost all of my bad sides - I think. But she lasted through it all and saw it through to the end. Thank you!
So, let me take you back to the start. It all began with last year's Desucon. Desucon 07 was my first con ever. I had very mixed feelings about it, but I'll leave out the negative stuff. The good stuff was Nordic Garrison! A fantastic trooping group who guarded the con and kept it safe (haha, bad guys doing good.) While I hadn't been much of a Star Wars fan until then (I know, right...), I had always loved Boba Fett! (I got a major thing for helmets and masks.) And suddenly, none other than the Fett enters the room I am in - MAJOR CRISIS! I ran after the guy as if I were 14 years old again and asked to take photos and get hugs. Totally embarrassing now when I look back at it to be honest.
But then later on, this happened:
But a promise was a promise, and dang I wanted that suit.
I began to look around. At first I had the idea of just buying those lame toy store helmets and redo the paint job. HAHA! Aaah... I quickly understood that would not do it. So I kept looking. Eventually I bumped across a really great thread over at The Dented Helmet. A guy named Asok made really swell Boba helmets - I had to get my hands on one! So I PM'ed him, he put me on a list and that was it, I was on the Boba-train! I figured that once I got the helmet, the rest would basically fix itself... BAHAHAH! GOD! When I look back at it now, I was SO frikkin naive it's REALLY embarrassing. And that's not even the worst part! Listen to this! By the time I had started buying parts, I didn't even know there were different versions of Boba Fett... I didn't even know there were a difference between ESB and ROTJ! And I was gonna dress up as him? Gosh.... Please, dun leave just yet, you guys. It gets better, I promise!
Alright! Summer vacation was over, I was back in the town I study in, and a couple of days later, the helmet arrived. This picture pretty much sums up all the feelings I had:
I quickly realized that the costume wouldn't just magically appear in my arms once I had the helmet. (I know, disappointing, right??) So I began to look around for other parts. And it's really amazing, but I have been more lucky than I deserve with buying parts. Cos I knew nothing, I just bought parts here and there. Luckily I never got really bad parts from anyone, all my sellers were good!
Back home again, I couldn't wait to pull open the package.
More packages arrived! This time from Man of War Studios - really cool guys by the way, check them out.
Oh well. Life moved on anyway
Then came what I did NOT look forward to:
Anyways! It was time for testing:
It was very nice to see it all fit. I had also acquired a chest flattener (those things hurts like a b***, yo!). Let's just say I could not pull of Boba Fett without one - I would have been Booba Fett! I was very relieved to see that there was hope to pull of the dude look, even for me!
After this image, I completely stopped. A combination of school and no will to work on this project anymore hit home. Christmas came and left and it was time for a new year. It was also getting time for cons. I had half a year to to finish this beauty, but it soon got shortened down several months when we decided to attend more cons. The deadline was cut in half! And I didn't even want to look at this stuff anymore - oh lord!
The jetpack is slowly being primed. The jetpack was hell to work on! Thanks to the material, no paint wanted to stick. So it had to be sanded down several times until the texture was right...
Then a couple of weeks passed with not much happening, really. We were both REALLY dead tired by now and I had a big anger issue unsorted. Nothing had gone as planned, and even tho things looked good in the end, stuff always kept going wrong before it went right - which can make anyone loose their sanity. Next up was the worst challenge yet: Mounting the visor.
Anyways. This pretty much sums up how I felt at the end of the day. Kill me. Kill me now. The time to go home was approaching in major steps and I started to freak out. The damn flak vest was nowhere to be seen and I had still several details left. Not to mention those DARN hoses on the gauntlet!
Attaching the chest armor to the flak vest, EEEEEP!
Onto the next tedious part! The gauntlet hoses. I'm sure by now you think that I have nothing good to say about this process. And you know what? You're almost right, haha. If it hadn't turned out so darn good, I would have had nothing good to say about it. So my hat is off to you costume makers who go through this year after year for cons! My next costume will for sure be simpler. Anywho. The hoses. The problem with the air pressure hoses is that they're stiff - as heck. So I was constantly worried they would break parts off from the gauntlet. And we had no good way of attaching them. In the end I bought those hose connectors you use on airbrush connectors. And after a little back and forth, it worked!
Of course everything didn't go as planned and stuff broke (the jetpack), but we managed to fix it in the last second before con time.
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand what you've all been waiting for (I hope):
Last but not least, a little funny image for you guys. Thanks for reading and thanks for all the help you all have given me!